It’s not appropriate for women with breast cancer to undergo a mastectomy if their doctor hasn’t first discussed breast reconstructive surgery.
Discussing the option of breast reconstruction is just one of the evidence-based practices that ‘ought to be done’ to provide the best care possible to women with breast cancer, says Cancer Australia CEO professor Helen Zorbas.
Every year, 1 in 8 Australian women are diagnosed with breast cancer before their 85th birthday. While the survival of women with breast cancer is among the highest in the world, evidence shows some women are still not receiving the most appropriate care.
To remedy this, Cancer Australia has released a best practice statement to iron out the variations in treatment.
Zorbas says they want to be able to empower health professionals and patients with the evidence to ensure the best care possible for each individual.
“This unwarranted variation in practice has the potential to have an impact on patient outcomes and experience,” she said.
Launched on Pink Ribbon Day, the Influencing Best Practice in Breast Cancer statement identifies 12 key appropriate and inappropriate practices, from diagnosis to palliative care.
It was developed by a group of experts in the fields of oncology, pathology, radiology and surgery.
The evidence shows that breast reconstruction surgery at any time following a mastectomy has no negative impact on the chances of the cancer returning, or overall survival.
It’s for this reason that Cancer Australia states that it’s not appropriate to perform a mastectomy without first discussing the option.
What is appropriate, is the offer to undergo genetic counselling to women with high family risk factors and discussing fertility and family planning with women of child-bearing age prior to treatment.
What ought to be done in breast cancer
- Offer of genetic counselling if high familial risk.
- Optimal fixation, or preservation, of breast cancer specimens for accurate pathological examination.
- Discuss fertility and family planning with premenopausal women before treatment.
- Offer choice of either breast conserving surgery followed by radiotherapy, or a mastectomy.
- Offer of shorter, more intense course of radiotherapy as an alternative to conventional radiotherapy if aged over 50 years and/or have undergone surgery with clear surgical margins.
- Offer choice of shared care between physician and specialist if have early stage cancer.
- Offer of palliative care to those with symptomatic, metastatic breast cancer.
- Consider preoperative use of chemotherapy or hormonal therapy if clinically indicated.
- Diagnoses confirmed or excluded without undertaking the triple test: patient history and clinical examination, mammogram and/or ultrasound and biopsy.
- The offer of sentinel node biopsy to patients with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) having breast cancer surgery.
- Undergoing a mastectomy without discussing breast reconstruction.
- Performing intensive testing (full blood count, biochemistry or tumour markers) or imaging for patients who have been treated for early breast cancer and who don’t have symptoms.
Want to share your thoughts on this topic? Do you have an idea for a story?
This article was originally published at the “Article” source noted above and distributed by The Tutu Project for informational purposes only.
Our team is comprised of Bob and Linda Carey, our advisors and volunteers. Without them, changing lives one smile at a time would never be possible!
These big companies only care about money and profits they could get.
They don’t care what will be the effect of their greediness to all the
people and their surroundings what really causes cancer are all this
preserve food they are making, how can a preserve food last for three
months, i have been buying preserved food for my kids as a single father
because i do not have enough time for my kids due to my job, then
suddenly my first daughter feel sick and i quickly run a check on her
and discovered she was diagnosed of cancer, as a Doctor i looked for
cure but couldn’t find any my daughter started taking drugs like her
whole life depends on it, it wasn’t working the cancer was still
spreading i searched more on the internet i found a testimony on how it
cured someone then .i copied the email immediately the email
firstname.lastname@example.org i wrote to this very email
email@example.com, in an hour i got a feedback asking
me few questions, and enlightened me on how to get the oil in the next
48hours, i placed my order and in the next 48hours the medication oil
got to me in Nairobi Kenya immediately my daughter started using the
oil, it been two months now, since my daughter has been using the
medication oil and the cancerous problems are gone this very fact was
clarified by me and other doctors
i put up this piece of testimony
for the sake of those once who need this oil to please don’t die in
silence their is a cure for your cancer today email:
firstname.lastname@example.org and get the oil.